[GLLUG] Next public software advocacy event

L Inbody linbody at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 01:04:34 EDT 2007

Nick,

Great suggestions, especially the Marriott idea.  I could not attend either
due to my military duties....

I have quite a few points with the Marriott chain and would be willing to
give some up for a free room for that event if we could pack a couple (or
few) people in!

As a free movement, we have to start from the people, we don't have the
resources to compete with Vist*.  This will be a ground up campaign for a
lot of years to go.

If you all want a room, let me know VERY soon because the rooms will fill up
very fast if they are not already filled up.  BTW, you will be considered as
platinum members....free snack and water when you check in. (for whoever I
put the room name in) (reserve a twin queen room, suck it up and bring
cots!)  I love hijacking M.S. events!

Although I am still on active duty, www.ordnancemarine.com is developed with
nvu and oranceslicecomputing.com is now online.  Orangeslice.com is a future
project for when I retire.  My daughter picked the name out from open
source.......

Geek family!

Les

On 9/19/07, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <kwiatk27 at msu.edu> wrote:

> Although I was unable to attend the recent SFD, I would like to make some
> suggestions:
>
> -  Setup the event where there is LOTS of foot-traffic.  It doesn't matter
> how much advertisement that you are doing, the people who would go out of
> their way to the event are those who already know what Linux is.  While
> you
> may have to sacrifice an optimal location, the people you need to reach
> are
> those that aren't expecting to go to the event.
>
>         - See if the local CompUSA or Circuit City would lend you their
> training space for the event...  See if you can go around the location
> while
> people are shopping and interest them.
>         - Set up a booth on a game day on Campus.  This idea may need to
> wait until next year as you will start running into flying snow.
>         - Different malls allow for non-profits to setup a temporary booth
> for an afternoon, if you ask the right way...  Again, all it takes is for
> somebody curious to walk by and ask a question.
>         - Hijack a Microsoft event.  Microsoft / Cisco / Nortel etc., all
> have seminars around Lansing.  Find out when they are and get a room near
> theirs, or again, a booth to talk to the people who go to these seminars.
> For example, Cisco has an all day event at the Henry Center on Colins and
> Forest roads next week.  Microsoft has a larger 'Software Licensing
> Update'
> seminar at the Marriott in EL the first week in November.  With these, you
> already have a captive audience that is looking to either (a) spend money
> or
> (b) reduce the amount they are spending on these products.
>
> - Marketing the event.  Again, see if you can get into some of the
> community news papers, or have some of the local ISPs (ACD, arialink, etc)
> send out emails to their user bases.  See if some of the local computer
> shops (digilink, KTC, etc) would help you spread the word.  See if some
> local tech companies (TechSmith or LiquidWeb) would help out too...  Lots
> of
> these guys may even help you with some sort of coupon to help drive their
> business.  You need to pick a date and location now, and just get the
> flyers
> out, and work backwards from there.
>
> Hope some of these suggestions help!  I would love to see this event a
> smashing success :)
>
> -Nick Kwiatkowski
> MSU Telecom Systems, P&E Group

Running Linux? Are you completely out of your mind.  That thing is a
rip-off.  It comes with no viruses, no Trojans, no malware , etc .......