[GLLUG] What to do with 126 unread emails?

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Fri Sep 21 17:25:13 EDT 2007

Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> Well - I did it again.  Any time I get close to actually REALLY joining something I freak out and drop out.  I ran into Jordan downtown (in East Lansing.)  After that first meeting I attended (the nanotech present.)  We made small talk.
>
> I wrote the list apologizing for hiding behind my laptop and everyone seemed really supportive but I just let it all fall.
>
> I couldn't bring myself to go to another meeting and then it got worse and worse as time went on.  I felt further distant.
>
> Now it's gotten to where I haven't read a thread in a LONG time.
>
> I'm sick right now and confused in the head but 126 unread emails seems like a lot.
>
> Not sure what to do

I agree with the others.  Use a threaded email client.  You will only
have a few threads, most of which may not interest you.  Save only what
you actually feel like reading.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of those emails aren't any longer
than this one.  A count of 126 emails MIGHT seem like a lot, but you
wouldn't normally respond to more than a few in a set that large, even
if you are interested.  If getting large numbers of emails is still
intimidating, you could subscribe in a digest view to get something like
one email per day containing everything.  The downside of digest emails
is that they are somewhat of a pain to correspond with and don't really
address threading needs, but some people still like them.

Really though, we'd love to have you.  Keep in mind that a group like
GLLUG is at least familiar with interacting with people that have lower
than normal social skills.  Some members still have major social issues,
and others have overcame issues probably not unlike your own.  If
nothing else, it can't hurt to see how others deal with the same
situations.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The meeting you came to was NOT typical; it was about as formal as I've
personally seen this group.  I'd strongly encourage you to give the
meetings another shot.  If you don't like a normal meeting, none of us
is going to force you to come back.  If you think about it, what's the
most you really could lose?  An evening of time?