[GLLUG] Free Juno/NetZero Accounts

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 00:45:11 EDT 2007

My current dial-up ISP, VTISP, has no phone support and offers tech
support only via e-mail.  Therefore, I wanted a secondary ISP that I
could use to contact VTISP in the case of not being able to use VTISP.
I had seen ads claiming that Juno and NetZero (essentially the same
company, but different brands) offered ten free hours a month, so I
visited Juno's website.  I could find mention of it on their home page,
but clicking on the links for the free internet access deal lead me only
to their basic $9.95 a month sign-up page for Linux, and they claimed to
support only one distro (which I don't recall now, perhaps Xandros).  It
occurred to me to try using Konqueror configured to represent itself as
IE on WinXP to see if I had any better luck.  I did; the free option
presented itself when I clicked on the same link on the home page.  So,
if anyone wants a free ten hours a month dial-up ISP, the trick is to
make Juno/NetZero think you're running some version of Windows.
Although you don't need to use their dialer software to connect, they
obviously want you to; they sent me an e-mail saying I failed to
download it, so I did to shut them up.

                                Chick