[GLLUG] Problem with print server

Nicholas Kwiatkowski kwiatk27 at msu.edu
Sun Sep 30 08:21:26 EDT 2007

If you have a copy of Ethereal or WireShark hanging around, it will probably
make a broadcast eventually.

Another, more reliable, method is if you have the MAC address, you can set a
static IP address to it from your local machine.

(I've only done this in windows and OS/2, but I am going to assume that the
steps should be close in *nix.)

1.  Find an open IP address in your IP Subnet that your pc is located.  Get
the device's IP.
2.  Execute the command : arp -s 157.55.85.212   00-aa-00-62-c6-09
(replacing IP and MAC, of course)
3.  Connect to that IP address you just set.  This IP address will last
until your TCP/IP stack is reset.

Hope this leads you down the right direction!

-Nick