[GLLUG] intro to programming

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Thu Apr 3 03:12:02 EDT 2008

Michael George wrote:
> We homeschool our children, and the oldest are old enough that I think
> they are ready for an intro to programming.  I would like a book that can
> hold their hands and help them learn logic and programming, but do so at a
> 5-7th grade level and using open-source languages.
>
> I know some on this list are students and some are teachers, so I am
> hoping there might be some experience-based recommendations.  I'll take
> what I can get, though.

I actually started when I was about five or six, but I can't honestly
think of a book that could come close to replacing one-on-one contact at
this age.  Is there any way you could go through the basics with him
first, then find a follow-up book?  Frankly, I think you would need to
get through branching, looping, variable assignments, etc before you
have something to build on.