[GLLUG] Grub Error

Rocky Lichen rockylichen at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 14:31:46 EDT 2008

If the windows partition you deleted was on the same hard drive, and a lower partition number than your linux partition, grub is now pointing to the wrong partition.

For example, if your old menu.lst said "root     (hd0,1)" and you deleted the windows partition that *was* (hd0,0), you now need root to be (hd0,0) to boot linux.

The easier fix is to recreate a partition in (some of) the free space where you deleted the windows partition with the same partition number as the one you deleted.  You won't even need to put a filesystem on it, but the old grub in your MBR should boot linux again.