[GLLUG] Database for a mailing list

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:05:08 EDT 2008

I searched briefly on Freshmeat and Sourceforge for mailing list
managers, but I had little luck.  All that I found were for managing
e-mail mailing lists.  Perhaps some of the enterprise groupware projects
can also handle mailing lists, but I didn't investigate that.

Fortunately, almost any database would suffice, and, as you implied, the
hard part would be setting up an interface to the mailing list database.
   Most databases (even SQLite) have GUI front-ends available that
someone should be able to customize for your purposes.  For the printing
of labels, perhaps this would suffice:

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/glabels

Then all you would need is a database and a front-end for managing the
list, and the programmer wouldn't need to worry about printing except to
export a list in the proper format.

If you're going to get a custom solution, you might want to consider
other capabilities you would like in the system, such as printing labels
for some subset of the entire list, some manner of searching for groups
of records, whether more than one user at a time needs to access the
list, and if you'd like the system to handle mail merge as well (to
create personally-addressed letters).

I'm sorry to have written in such bland generalities, and offered so
little actual help.  It's a fascinating problem, though.

                                Chick