[GLLUG] Room Party Post Mortem

Andy Ball physicsnarf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 19:41:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Stephan Andre' <andres at msu.edu> wrote:

> On Monday 21 April 2008 18:41:12 Clay Dowling wrote:
> > Overall I thought the room party was a great success.  Everybody seemed
> > to have a lot of fun and I didn't find it too stressful.  The only sore
> > spot at all was that it cost more money than I would have liked, and I
> > believe Jeff came up with a good solution to that problem.
> >
> > 1. The party room can also be a sleeping room.  At least half of the
> > GLLUG members were still roaming around whenever I closed down the room
> > party.  That kills the cost of the additional room.
> >
> > 2. Less investment in chips and other foods that the con suite already
> > stocks.  Some salt substrate, but I don't need to buy it in catering
> > quantities.
> >
> > 3. I can scale back on napkins and utensils as well.
> >
> > 4. A lighter beer.  This beer was excellent, but at least three of us
> > were undone by the One Ton.  We might buy some heavier beer for private
> > consumption in smaller quantities, but if a keg is purchased it should
> > be in the 4-6% ABV range.
> >
> > 5. More hot food.  The chili was great, but always gone quite early,
> > often before the room parties really got started.  A homemade mac and
> > cheese would go over well, and if I ask my wife really nicely she might
> > make pansit for us.  Or at least show me how to do it.
> >
> > 6. It might make some sense to hold off on opening the room party until
> > 10pm or so on Saturday night.  The room party was pretty much dead until
> > midnight.
> >

> > Any observations that anybody else has would be appreciated.
> >
> > Clay
>
> The party seemed a great success to me; someone told Marcus and
> I go to there, and I heard others talking about the beer, so it worked.
>
> Rather than think of ways to scale back, think of things to do to
> augment the costs.  Sleeping in the room is a great start.  The
> other thing I'd suggest is figure out what it will cost and then
> pass the hat.  If I miss that a few weeks ago on this mailing list,
> then you ought to be a little more loud in your requests. ;-)
>
> Thanks, it was great.  The computer lounge was really good too,
> knowing that I could drag the laptop down there and show things
> to folks and to get email.
>
> --STeve Andre'

The only thing that got to me that wasn't covered was places to sit and
chill.  Leaving the bed in the room would probably help with this.  The
thought of bringing folding chairs is running through my mind for this
reason among others as well.
I will also have to second the notion on the beer although very tasty it was
also a little on the heavy side.

Andy Ball