[GLLUG] Fwd: [ubuntu-us-mi] Hardy Release Party

Peter Smith psmith.gllug at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:19:37 EDT 2008

John Lewis wrote:
> Is there a disk image download of ubuntu that would install to a Sun Ultra2?
> I'd really like to try it on that machine.

The forums have a section for Sun Sparc Users
(http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=146 for the archives,
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=340 for the current posts)
that says: "For Sun UltraSPARC computers, including those based on the
multicore UltraSPARC T1 ("Niagara") processors."

I believe there's a sparc version for both 6.06 and 7.10, but I don't
think the latest 8.04 release has one...ponder...ah, here it is: From

------------
Sun and Canonical to bring Ubuntu 8.04 to x86 Servers Apr. 03, 2008

Sun was the first major company to give Ubuntu a shot at making the big
server show in May 2006. Then, the deal was all about putting Ubuntu
6.06 LTS (Long Term Support) on the UltraSPARC T1 processor
<http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3529702201.html> on Sun Fire T1000
and T2000 servers. The 2008 version of the partnership between Sun and
Ubuntu's parent company, Canonical, is all about putting the forthcoming
UTS version of Ubuntu, 8.04, on Sun's x86 servers.

Ubuntu 8.04 <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5251673744.html>,
however, will no longer be officially supported on SUN's SPARC processor
line. Matt Zimmerman, Ubuntu's chief technology officer and chairman of
the Ubuntu Technical Board, announced in a Technical Board report March
11
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-March/000400.html>
that "the officially released architectures for Ubuntu 8.04 will be i386
and amd64. The SPARC port will continue to be provided with build
infrastructure, and Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, 7.04 and 7.10 will continue to
enable SPARC deployments well into the future, but there will not be an
official Ubuntu 8.04 release for SPARC."

According to sources close to both Sun and Canonical, the reason for
this shift from SPARC to AMD Opteron is that there has been little
demand for Ubuntu on SPARC. Sun's SPARC servers
<http://www.sun.com/servers/index.jsp> will, of course, still be
available with Solaris.

-- Peter Smith