[GLLUG] selecting an alternative port for sshd

Thomas Driscoll tad001 at sunn.net
Tue Dec 9 12:01:35 EST 2008

I would pick a port above 1024 (the non-reserverd ports) and use the services file in /etc/ (which is usually in most linux distros /etc) and pick a port that is not normally used. I have used 5800 and 5200 in the past. Many ISP that block connections will look for the known ports and block them like 6667 (irc), or stuff like 32000 which use to be used by Quake I think. Then you might just have to hunt and peck till you find a hole. There is a possibility that some providers will ONLY allow certain ports, if any, to create an inbound connection to their networks. You will also and to keep tabs on the potential that doing this might violate your providers "end user policy". I hope this helps.