[GLLUG] streaming music

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Dec 23 01:59:13 EST 2008

My current machines are faster, but I regularly stream/burn two+ ISO images
over gigabit ethernet without any performance problems.  I also watch DVD
movies without stuttering the same way.  Even for a P2/P3, you shouldn't
have trouble with audio.  Have you monitored the stats on both ends while
the stuttering happens?  You might be running something like compression or
encryption that could tax the CPU.  Alternatively, you could try NFS (or
preferably NFS4, although I just made the switch myself).  Also, are you
running a kernel with the preemptive options enabled?  If not, then you
should be for this type of work.