[GLLUG] Once more about Subversion

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue Feb 5 19:02:38 EST 2008

frank.dolinar at comcast.net wrote:
> To all, again, thanks for the feedback.  It has helped and I've made some headway.
> That being said, I have some more questions.
>
> 1.  Given that the documentation indicates that revisions update the "revision number" for the entire trees...
> and the documentation actually says:
>
> Are we talking about folders with sub structure or are we talking about the entire repository.

Entire repository

> 2.  I think I understand what a branch is at this point.  Under what circumstances would I want to create one?

Typically after a software release, or at least a major release.

> 3.  Related to question # 2, similar question about tags.

In subversion tags and branches are the same thing.  You can probably
ignore tags.  In the CVS world a tag is just a marker that you use to
indicate some milestone, like maybe at this point a certain objective
was achieved, or a particular bug was fixed, or all of the tests passed.
  You might want to use it the same way, but don't feel even a little
bit compelled to do that.

> 4.  The "MyProject" folder contains a .svn folder, a trunk folder, a branches folder, and a tags folder.   I'm placing my code files in the "MyProject" folder... except when I create a branch?  How do I make sure the code for the branch gets in the right location.  And related to question # 3, when and why do I associate a tag?

Don't put anything in MyProject.  Usually nobody will ever see this
folder.  Put your working files for the bleeding edge of development in
trunk.

When you check out the project, don't check out MyProject, check out
MyProject/trunk

Don't worry about being dense.  This is your first outing with source
control.  Expect to foul some stuff up.  We all did, and we learned from
it.  You'll do the same.  The hard part for you is going to be getting
people to use it and use it effectively.  There is pushback in every
organization when source control is first introduced, and that's going
to be your big battle.

Clay
--
CeaMuS, Simple Content Management