[GLLUG] Another Subversion question (2008 Feb 10)

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sun Feb 10 21:25:38 EST 2008

Frank Dolinar wrote:
> Repository vs. Projects
>
> This is still a bit unclear.
>
> Do I need separate installations of Subversion for each repository?
> [This is not what I expect.]
> Or is what the documentation refers to as the Repository the equivalent
> of the top level folder within the subversion database -- what I would
> call a project? [This is what I do expect.]
> If this second, then the revision numbers change when anything is
> changed for a repository (aka project)?  [Thus changing the rev# for
> each change of a project but not for other projects.]
> But, I can have multiple projects (i.e. top level folders -- aka
> repositories) within the Subversion database?

Maybe an example from my own system will make this easiest to understand.

On my source control machine, I have a folder /svn/repos.  Underneath
that are my svn repositories, and Apache is configured to treat any
folder under that as a repository.

When I start a new project, I run the command

svnadmin create /svn/repos/newproject

That creates a repository that is distinct from the one at
/svn/repos/oldproject

Each have their own trunk, branches and tags.

Clay
--
CeaMuS, Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com