[GLLUG] Software Distribution

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sat Feb 16 16:06:56 EST 2008

Richard Houser wrote:
> I disagree on Windows being an easier platform to distribute software
> for.  It may currently have a larger market and be easier to extort
> money from directly, but that's only because that business model doesn't
> really exist to any substantial degree outside the commercial operating
> systems (other systems tend to use support contracts, development for
> hire, and donation models).  In the windows world, distribution itself
> should be a lot more complicated in the windows world where you don't
> have package management tools, install/uninstall programs act
> inconsistently, and there aren't a few central places that users go to
> get all their software.

Windows certainly has many faults, and Microsoft seems to go out of
their way to make things hard (web server & database admin come to
mind).  But commercial software distribution is a lot easier, and
commercial software distribution is what I am interested in.  It pays my
bills.  And in the Linux world, I need to package my software
differently for each distribution.  That gets old pretty fast, and makes
it commercially impractical.  I speak from direct experience here.

Clay
--
CeaMuS, Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com