[GLLUG] Re:Network Neutrality

Karl Schuttler rexykik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 16:09:32 EST 2008

Lets try to maintain the subject line, shall we?

 As much as I want my provider to never get in the way of getting to
 content, I also understand the importance of quality of service. There
 is no way we could run voice video and data over our WAN without
 setting preference to certain types of data. Treating every bit the
 same isn't viable with the long term goals people have for the net,
 but saying all file sharing is bad isn't the option either. Definitely
 a problem for the network engineers to fix, not the legislators.

 Lee makes a very good point; there definitely does need to be some
 level of QoS in order to get things flowing rapidly. HTTP data does
 not require the consistancy of audio; blips in audio streams are much
 more noticable than the extra millisecond it takes to download a
 webpage.

 However, net neutrality is not something that would strike this out.
 Being quite a blanket term for an ideal, it can be implemented in
 different ways, but the main point is that carriers don't get to
 charge for the different levels of service. You pay for bandwidth
 rather than paying for access to google, msn.com, or others,
 respectively. Want to use port 22? It's gonna cost you.