[GLLUG] Re:Network Neutrality

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Thu Feb 28 23:30:31 EST 2008

A more likely situation is what many of the oversees and I think
Canadian ISPs do.  You get a quota at a fast speed, and after you exceed
that, your overall speed drops to a lower level, but the fee stays flat.

What many US consumers (as a country, we seem to like fixed rate bills
more than other nations) would rather see is a range of service tiers
similar to this:

1.)  256kbps = $A/mo
2.)  384kbps = $B/mo
3.)  512kbps = $C/mo
4.)  768kbps = $D/mo
5.) 1024kbps = $E/mo
6.) 2048kbps = $F/mo

etc.

The only real reason we don't see this here is the unregulated
monopolies most providers have in the US.  Those carriers know that most
customers don't want the expensive offerings, so refuse to offer the
lower plans to keep revenues high.  Since they so vastly oversell their
capabilities to bring in the higher bucks, they have a problem where
they can't afford for customers to use the service they paid for, hence
the logic behind attacking typically high-bandwidth users (even though
that bandwidth was paid for).