[GLLUG] Best local place for custom built computers?

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Fri Feb 29 19:13:20 EST 2008

Chick Tower wrote:
> If you want that much control, Al, why not build it yourself?  It's not
> difficult, you can buy components on sale or with rebates, and it's fun.
>  There are lots of websites and books that tell you how to do it.
>
>                                Chick
>

> Al Puzzuoli wrote:
>> Just shopping around for a new system, and seeking recommendations as
>> to options in the Lansing area.  I haven't decided yet whether I want
>> to buy online or locally, but would like an outfit that will let me
>> customize the machine down to the type of case fans being used, etc.

I second that.  As long as you have a good parts-list to work with, you
typically end up with a little less work, a little less cost, and a LOT
better (power efficiency, noise, stability, etc.) machine.  Plus, if you
assemble it yourself, you can get some amazing deals if you are willing
to watch a few sites for a month or so to accumulate all the parts.

My last two builds cost me just under $200 and have these kind of specs
(would be happy to share the part details):

black ATX case w/ front USB/sound and included 120mm fan
Antec Earthwatts 380 watt PS
AMD X2 4100 X2 (w/ variable speed system controlled fan)
Nvidia graphics on a Biostar Motherboard TF7050-M2 (or TF-7025-M2)
400GB Western Digital SATA
2GB DDR2 6400

Total power draw as measured from the wall of 50 watts typical (65ish at
peak load).  Excellent Linux support of course.