[GLLUG] Emacs IRC Client Trouble

Marr marr at copper.net
Thu Jan 24 18:21:39 EST 2008

Hey all,

I'm trying to coordinate with a fellow Linux kernel module hacker to get a
permanent fix for a long-broken kernel module into the next kernel release.
He wants to use IRC to coordinate our efforts. Unfortunately, despite many
years of computer hacking (the good kind!), I'm a total noob at IRC.

Based on a discussion with fellow Emacs enthusiast Patrick (Hawkins, I think)
at a GLLUG meeting well over a year ago, I decided to run the Emacs IRC
client known as 'erc'.

The 'erc' installation is trivial (unlike web-based 'Google Talk', which
wanted me to install Adobe Flash 9 -- no thanks).

Unfortunately, when I run 'erc' from within Emacs, all I get is this message
in my Emacs status line:

   irc.freenode.net:6667 name or service not known

I _can_ successfully 'ping irc.freenode.net', so I know that DNS is resolving
it.

I played around a bit, and then Googled for that term a bit, but I cannot find
anything to help. Of course, I *am* connected to the Internet (via dial-up)
when I run 'erc', but it acts just like it does when I'm not connected --
same message. I don't think my 'iptables' firewall is blocking anything. I
checked the Emacs 'erc' customization variables and cannot find anything that
might help either, so I'm pretty much mystified at this point. Being a total
noob at IRC isn't helpful, either. :^)

I'll continue to look into solutions, but thought I'd ask for some guidance
here too.

I don't even have to use 'erc'. I'd gladly run any simple IRC client that
won't require me to install a ton of extra junk on top of my nice Slackware
11.0 installation. Simpler (and lower-bandwidth) is better, especially since
I'll only be using it once.

Thanks in advance to anyone with advice!

P.S. Does anyone know when the window for Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04 LTS)
closes? That is to say, "If we get our kernel module fix in by such-and-such
date, it will be guaranteed to be included in Hardy Heron." I'm not a big
Ubuntu user, but I just saw that this very old bug was mentioned a while ago
on the Ubuntu forums and I'd like to get the fix in before the next release.

Regards,
Bill Marr