[GLLUG] running R on multiple processors with LAM/MPI

Qiu Wang wangqiu04 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 11:35:52 EDT 2008

Hello, GLLUG-ers

Hope you are enjoy the nice summer!

My name is Qiu Wang and I am a student at MSU. I just started using linux
system last week and I love it. Currently, I am using a open source /GNU
statistical package R <http://www.r-project.org/about.html> for my project.
Is anyone using R <http://www.r-project.org/> for parallel computation on a
linux cluster (e.g., msu's HPC)? I was told that someone once gave a talk
on R to GLLUG 2-3 yeas ago. Does any one know if that talk touched parallel
compuation? People at HPC (especically, Ed) are very supportive and will
update R and install required packages (e.g.,
Rmpi<http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/yu/Rmpi/>). I really appreciated
their help and would like to hear some user-side
expereince from this list.

Here is another issue the list might be interested with.

I just got a quad dell inspiron desktop and started to use ubuntu. Oh, it is
such a chellenge,  huge for me, but I had some fun. One thing I need to
figure out is to run R on all 4 processors on a single machine. Right now it
only uses one precessor (R randomly picks one of  the four CPUs to run the
code. ). It is a waste. I found that running R on a multiprocessor single
machine has been done on a quad-Mac
<http://macresearch.org/statistics_supercomputing_on_a_mac_with_r_and_lam_mpi>.
How can it be done on my Dell quad machine? I have no clue where I should
start. Any thoughts and ideas will be appreiciated.

--
Qiu Wang
Measurement and Quantitative Methods