[GLLUG] running R on multiple processors with LAM/MPI

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Mon Jun 16 13:49:04 EDT 2008

I set up R a while ago, it wasn't that bad. I didnt end up using it, as my
database got too big and slow for the db server machine so i killed the
project until I got a faster machine with bigger/faster disk.. which
hasnt been in the budget yet.. :)

The configuration should be very similar to the directions given for the
Mac as far as configuration. You should be able to loosely follow the
steps and get it running. The big difference will be a difference where
the software is installed. The command line stuff will most likely work
the same. R should work very similar except the GUI which on the mac will
look significantly different since they ported it to cocoa (native mac)

It appears Ubuntu has the packages you need already in their package
format so you shouldnt have to recompile or tweak any software to get it
to work.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/r-cran-rmpi
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/math/r-cran-snow
and various other related packages

And look at the bright side. once you are done, and have a basic
understanding of this, you can scale it to other computers on your local
network. :)