[GLLUG] OT: For Sale: Dell Inspiron 1100

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Tue Mar 4 01:15:55 EST 2008

Figured I'd offer this locally before risking the ebay thing...

I bought this laptop a few years ago and have taken very good care of
it, so it's in great shape aside from a few barely-noticeable
scratches here and there. The P4-based Celeron 2.0GHz processor means
it's still plenty fast for most tasks. Even the neato-cool Compiz 3D
desktop stuff doesn't slow it down too badly. The screen is in
excellent condition and has no dead pixels or scratches. Battery life
is down to about 30 minutes. Replacement parts are cheap and easy to
find. All keyboard lettering is intact and all of the keys work great.

Although the laptop's hardware is well-supported in Linux, the current
Ubuntu video drivers have an annoying issue with the graphics chipset.
The fix is easy--just disable the framebuffer splash screen. This bug
has already been fixed in the Ubuntu CVS code so it shouldn't be an
issue in future releases. The laptop comes with a fresh copy of
Xubuntu pre-installed, with the workaround for the above issue already
in place. If you want to run Windows or a different Linux
distribution, this shouldn't affect you.

Comes with:

 * AC Adapter
 * Padded faux leather laptop bag (a little raggedy but does the job)
 * COA with product key for Windows XP Home Edition
 * Netgear WG511T 802.11b/g wifi card

Specifications:

 * CPU: Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz (P4-based core)
 * Memory: 512MB (2x PC2100)
 * Hard disk: Hitachi Travelstar 30GB 4200RPM (IC25N030ATMR04-0)
 * Screen: 14.1" 1024x768
 * Audio: AC97 + headphone and microphone jacks
 * Video: Intel 854G + S-Video and VGA out
 * Network: 10/100mbps Broadcom 4400
 * Optical Drive: CD/RW
 * Expansion slot: 1x Type I Cardbus slot
 * USB: 2x USB 2.0
 * Modem: PCTel Winmodem

Price is $300. If you look around, you'll see that refurbished
versions of this laptop go for $400 and up and this one is at least as
good as those. Pictures of this model are all over the net
(http://tinyurl.com/26dwjv), but if you'd like me to take pictures of
the Real McCoy, let me know. I've taken very good care of it, so my
pictures won't differ much from what you see online. If interested,
please reply off-list. Thanks!

Charles