[GLLUG] Linux in Education

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at analysts.com
Thu Mar 6 12:51:37 EST 2008

You'd be surprised how many people use it in education, particularly in
K-12.  After I wrote an article about the stuff we used at Holt schools
back in 1997 (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2210) I got TONS of
emails from random people all over the world - Canada, Columbia,
Netherlands, etc.  11 years ago most folks were using on the back end,
but I still keep in touch with some of my peers in K-12 and a lot more
districts are starting to use it in labs and stuff.  Also a lot of
libraries are using it - for example Dan's Guardian - for Internet
content filtering on the cheap.  It pleases me to see my tax money
wisely used.  I've found that K12 school districts in particular tend to
be very independant minded and tend to take umbrage at things like
Microsofts "leasing" of software and whatnot (despite the rock-bottom
prices they pay for it).  The trick is making sure you have enough
uber-nerdz who can support it.  Fortunately, young'ns are good for that,
and cheap for schools to get as interns and so on.

Mark Lachniet
Solutions Architect - Security
Analysts International
3101 Technology Blvd. Suite A