[GLLUG] Weather-info options

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 14:54:46 EDT 2008

This is mostly for our North American-based list members.

Severe weather is a concern this time of year.  For years, I have been
using the advertising-supported WeatherBug and an ad-free alternative,
Weather Pulse under Microsoft Windows -- but was not aware of
alternatives under Linux, so I decided to take a look at The Weather
Channel and AccuWeather.

Of course, you can always go to their respective websites to view
current conditions:
<http://www.weatherbug.com>
<http://www.accuweather.com>
<http://www.weather.com>
but that's a bit of a hassle.

Fortunately, The Weather Channel and AccuWeather both provide free
downloads and services.  For those of us that run Linux or Mac OS X,
both services provide Firefox extensions.  Since Firefox extensions
are OS-agnostic, they run fine in any environment that supports
Firefox. Both also offer a variety of toolbars and widgets for a
variety of environments.
<http://www.accuweather.com/downloadcenter.asp>
<http://www.weather.com/services/downloads/index.html>

~~ Mikey