[GLLUG] Shades of "Snowcrash"

Stanley C. Mortel mortel at cyber-nos.com
Fri May 9 23:12:24 EDT 2008

ATTACKS, INTRUSIONS, DATA THEFT & LOSS
  --Attack on Epilepsy Foundation Site Designed to Prompt Physical Reaction
(May 8, 2008)
The FBI is investigating a data security breach in which the attackers
placed animated content on the Epilepsy Foundation's website, causing
some people viewing the site to suffer migraines and near-seizure
reactions.  The Foundation's website no longer allows users to post
animated images or links to other sites; it is also being moderated 24
hours a day.
http://news.smh.com.au/hackers-posts-on-epilepsy-forum-cause-migraines-seizures/20080508-2c4w.html
[Editor's Note (Schultz): This is to the best of my knowledge the first
cyberattack of this nature. In addition to data security breaches,
denial of service attacks, intrusions, malware attacks, phishing, and
so on, there should now be a new category of attacks--attacks designed
to physically harm users.
(Skoudis): This is a very disturbing story of a truly wicked attack,
reminiscent of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash book.  As we more closely
integrate biology and information technology, with software-controlled
healthcare systems, pacemakers, and even SCADA systems, I can't help but
think we'll eventually see fatalities based on cyber attack.  I'm not
trying to spread FUD... I come to this realization with a very heavy
heart.]

Stan Mortel
mortel at cyber-nos.com