[GLLUG] virtual machine demo box at last penguicon

Stanley C. Mortel mortel at cyber-nos.com
Fri May 30 00:35:53 EDT 2008

At 12:19 AM 5/30/2008 -0400, you wrote:
>So, I get an email from someone (who shall remain nameless for now)
>asking me a question. Rather than perform my usual rummaging around thru
>brain and search engines to find the answer, I think to myself, "Self,
>it's Wednesday; tomorrow will be the meeting, and you can ask then."
>
>So, then I forget. I asked at the post-meeting meeting....but, the two
>others who were left were not forthcoming with shining canonical answers.
>
>So, I repeat the question to you all, and will transmit the answer to
>the asker when we get one....
>
>---------------
>
>I remember playing around with a machine that had a virtual machine
>software being demo'ed on it. (looked a lot like vmware in its
>interface) It was the first machine on the left when one entered the
>room. I can't seem to recall the name of the software/company,
>although someting like Innoware sticks in my mind. (could be WAY off)
>I've tried googling variations on what think I remember, but haven't
>managed to find it.
>
>Can you recall the name of the company or product?

It was Virtualbox.  One OS runs inside of another, e.g. Ubuntu inside of
XP, or vice versa.  Haven't been able to get MSDOS to work with it, but XP
and Win2K do fine.  Ubuntu is the only linux distro. I've tried.  Not
surprisingly, XP inside of Linux seems to work better than linux inside of
XP.  The virtual machine can have some "issues" with video cards and sound
cards it seems.  But, in general, Virtualbox works pretty well.

Stan Mortel
mortel at cyber-nos.com