[GLLUG] Web proxy with tracking/login?

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Wed Oct 15 08:29:22 EDT 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:23:59 -0400
Mike Rambo <mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:41:49 -0400
> Mike Szumlinski <szumlins at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > I figured I would ask here since there is a lot of OSS use.  Does
> > anyone have any recommendations for a web proxy that allows for
> > login based tracking?  I have a customer looking to track where
> > their employees have been during the day, but since it is such a
> > small shop a lot of the appliance based commercial proxies are
> > overkill on both price and features.
> >
> > Anyone know of anything out there or can make any recommendations?
> >

> Squid logs pretty much everything. Literally every access. Sarg does a
> great job of pulling that log data into reports that are (I think)
> exactly what you've asked for.

BTW, since I forgot to explicitly mention it previously, squid does
support login based browsing with several authentication methods
available. I've never seen a sarg report from a proxy with
authentication in use but with the volume of data I know squid logs and
the volume of data in the sarg reporting it is entirely possible it will
have what you need. I *know* it has every access by IP and/or machine
name.

--
Mike Rambo

    -Ed Howdershelt