[GLLUG] Memtest86+

Michael George george at idealso.com
Thu Oct 23 21:17:42 EDT 2008

I have a question for you hardware-diddlers out there.  I bought 1GB of
PC133 SDRAM for a Mac.  I got Crucial and it was highly rated (by a
whopping 4 people) on newegg.com.

I put it into an ASUS A7V system to test it.  I have a 256MB PC133 DIMM
that works fine and tests fine with Memtest86+.  However, when I put
either of the 512MB DIMMs into the system and run the test, it will fail
on test #8.  It seems a rather odd coincidence for both of them to fail
the same test, but the 256 passes just fine.

I'm running Memtest86 on one of the DIMMs in a different slot on the
mobo to see if that might have something to do with it, but it seems
unlikely as the 256 tested just fine.

Is there perhaps some idiosyncrasy of which I may not be aware that
could be causing this?  I don't want to RMA this RAM only to find that
the test was flawed, not the memory...

Thanks!

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
	Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.