[GLLUG] Penguicon Beer Brewing

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Thu Sep 4 16:50:35 EDT 2008

At the last meeting we talked about plans for the room party next year at
Penguicon.  Instead of buying beer it occurred to us that we could brew
it, which would be completely in keeping with the open source conference
idea.

Last year we went through 15 gallons of beer.  My brewing setup is capable
of brewing 5 finished gallons at a time, which would mean three brewing
sessions.  I figure to make the brewing a group event (or events) at my
house.

The current beer plan:

1. Czech Pilsner - The original golden beer.  Light in color, strong in
flavor.  The best commercial example is Czechvar, which many grocery
stores are now carrying.  Sapporo is also in this style.

2. Scottish Wee Heavy - similar to the beer we drank last year.  Expect
this stuff to wreck your head and your guts the next day if you drink
unwisely.

3a. Schwarzbier - A dark german ale.  My recipe is good with chocolate,
and if we make this we should form a partnership with the chocolate/fudge
people.

3b. Heffewiezen - Similar to Schwarzbier, but light in color.  There are a
lot of variations in flavor, but my recipe is pretty mellow and eminently
drinkable.

A choice would have to be made between 3a and 3b (at least in theory).

The pilsner needs to be brewed first, and soon, because it needs a few
months in a refrigerator for proper secondary fermentation.

I propose either the 13th or 20th of September for the first brewing party
at my house.  You do not need to know anything about brewing to
participate, you'll learn as we go, and you'll be a better brew-monkey for
the next session.  If we can round up a couple of people and some
equipment I'm not opposed to expanding the beer offering (e.g. we make
both 3a and 3b) by brewing a couple of batches at each brew session.

Post a note on the list or contact me via email if you're interested in
helping out.

Clay