[GLLUG] New Weekly Meeting Site

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 13:25:36 EDT 2008

Well, the room is nice enough, and quiet, and should be able to hold
everyone.  I had trouble connecting to the wireless network, though.  I
tried doing it the way I've done in the past at the library and at
Ted-Dee's, but DNS wouldn't work for me.  I got an IP address, I saw no
errors from the commands I issued, but I had no DNS, and I don't know
any IPs I could ping as a test.  I took a different, though similar,
laptop to the library on Sunday and connected just fine on the second
floor, so maybe it's a problem with the third floor.  (I guess it could
be a sudden problem with a laptop or wireless card that worked fine the
last time I used them.)  The head librarian did say that another group
had network problems in that conference room, but she thought the users
determined it was a problem with their application and not the network.
  If anyone else takes a laptop up there, please let us know if you are
able to connect successfully to the CADL wireless network.  Since there
might not be many library visitors on the third floor trying to connect
to their wireless network, they may not know that they have a problem.

On a side note, the library seems to have three access points with the
same name, CADL Wireless.  At least, CADL Wireless shows up three times
when I issue the command "iwlist ath0 scan."  Does anyone know of a way
to specify which of the three I want to connect to using iwconfig?
Would "iwconfig ath0 ap {AP number}" do this?

                                Chick