[GLLUG] Firefox 3 vs. 2

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon Sep 29 08:00:09 EDT 2008

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:02:16 -0400
"Charles Ulrich" <charles at bityard.net> wrote:

> FF3 is indeed much faster than FF2. I ran a beta version on my old
> Intel Celery laptop with great success, on which FF2 was marginal.
> Features are mostly the same. One thing I like about FF3 is the
> so-called Awesome Bar which is really handy once you get used to it.

It's interesting how different peoples tastes are. The "awesome bar"
is the single biggest thing I _dislike_ about ff3. I find it quite ugly
and tremendously annoying. ff3 does indeed seem to be faster than ff2
but the behavior of the address bar would be enough to keep me from
using it at all. Fortunately the appearance and the majority of the
behavior can be returned to that of ff2 through plugins and
configurations. To bad those hoops have to be jumped through at all.

> If you need speed, though, Konqueror is the fastest browser on Linux,
> bar none. (As well as Windows and Mac soon, I hope).

Well, second fastest (graphical browser) IMO. I find Opera to be the
hands down speed winner. It has long been my main browser though I also
use Konqueror and FF2 daily. I'm becoming much more open to a
replacement however since Opera has botched up the address bar function
very similar to FF3 but without a similar ability to almost completely
roll it back to the old behavior. I might look at Konq as a replacement
(since it _is_ pretty fast) if I hadn't had so many poor page rendering
experiences in the past. In addition, when I've been testing urls found
in our squid logs for proxies I've also found it _very_ easy to crash
konqueror too.

--
Mike Rambo

    -Ed Howdershelt