[GLLUG] Scrapbooking with Free Software

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue Apr 7 14:19:57 EDT 2009

In a discussion on another forum, one person mentioned that one of the
reasons she never even considered Linux was because her existing machine
had really great scrapbooking software that she used all the time.

So I decided to see how well Linux would work for that, especially The
Gimp.  My first pass is at http://dowling.lazarusid.com/node/245

That took about 20 minutes, most of which was spent getting source images,
especially the background.

You can see I'm not exactly the scrapbooking genious.  Probably has
something to do with owning dangling genitalia.  But it was really easy,
something I could show pretty much anybody competent to hold a mouse.
I'll be showing my wife and my sister, the two scapbookers that I know.

This might make a good presentation to introduce outsiders to free
software.  I'm pretty sure I could assemble a CD that would be easy for
folks to install on their Windows machine, and include a bunch of free
background textures and pictures and maybe even fonts.  With a little
work, I could probably even produce some basic templates for folks, but
you can see that my design skills don't recommend me for that task.

Clay