[GLLUG] Burnbox & Beer progress

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sun Apr 19 22:57:17 EDT 2009

Busy weekend getting ready for Penguicon.

All of the beer is now in kegs.  The two beers we made back in February
both have very full kegs, which means they absorb CO2 much more slowly.
That's okay, because the style for both beers is for lower CO2.  Just
the same, I'll keep them under gas until Penguicon, so they'll be better
carbonated for the party.

I started assembly of the bar.  It will keep the kegs and gas equipment
out of sight and out of harm's way, and make a decent pouring surface.
The structure can be broken down without tools, and it will fit in the
back seat of my car.  I'll finish it with spar urethane, the same finish
they use for boats, so when we spill beer it won't stain or damage anything.

Finally, the burnbox is nearly ready to go, but I'll probably be poking
at it throughout the week.  The hardware is assembled, OS is installed,
and I have images for Ubuntu 8.10, FreeBSD 7.1 and OpenBSD 4.4. It wants
some software and configuration tweaks, and there are some problems with
error handling.

I would like to know what people want to see for images on the box.
There are a couple of factors though:

1. I have no interest in downloading every obscure Linux distro under
the sun.  We have one good distro that will fill the needs of 90% of our
guests, so I don't want to waste my time downloading a bunch of extra
stuff that won't get used by more than one person.

2. Rescue CDs are good, but we don't need a dozen of them.

3. A CD full of open source software for Windows would be nice to have.
If somebody could point me to a good distro I would like that.