[GLLUG] Good Tiny Computer

David Singer david at ramaboo.com
Tue Aug 4 15:58:16 EDT 2009

I currently have a smallish 1Ghz PIII dell computer that I use as my home
server. I would like to upgrade it to something with a very small form
factor and ultra low power consumption. I am moving to a tiny apartment and
there will be no room for my little dell. It also makes a lot of noise (3
fans) and consumes a lot of power (cheap ATX power supply).

Idealy I would like something based on either a laptop chip-set or ARM,
Atom, Ion etc. Fanless would be great. All the server needs is enought room
to load a Linux install and maybe run SVN plus a few little apps. Storage
will be though external USB drive or internal HD if it fits. Most of its job
will be to serve mp3's. Video streaming to a TV is not needed as I don't
have a TV. Since it will be on all the time power consumption is a
consideration as well. I thought about one of those wall warts but id rather
have something slightly beefer but still in the hotel bible sized category.
Cheaper is better. Nothing over $200.

Anyone have recommendations? Anyone want a small old dell in a week or two?

-David