[GLLUG] Good Tiny Computer

charles at bityard.net charles at bityard.net
Tue Aug 4 19:56:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, August 4, 2009 3:58 pm, David Singer wrote:
> I currently have a smallish 1Ghz PIII dell computer that I use as my home
> server. I would like to upgrade it to something with a very small form
> factor and ultra low power consumption. I am moving to a tiny apartment
> and
> there will be no room for my little dell. It also makes a lot of noise (3
> fans) and consumes a lot of power (cheap ATX power supply).
>
> Idealy I would like something based on either a laptop chip-set or ARM,
> Atom, Ion etc. Fanless would be great. All the server needs is enought
> room
> to load a Linux install and maybe run SVN plus a few little apps. Storage
> will be though external USB drive or internal HD if it fits. Most of its
> job
> will be to serve mp3's. Video streaming to a TV is not needed as I don't
> have a TV. Since it will be on all the time power consumption is a
> consideration as well. I thought about one of those wall warts but id
> rather
> have something slightly beefer but still in the hotel bible sized
> category.
> Cheaper is better. Nothing over $200.
>
> Anyone have recommendations? Anyone want a small old dell in a week or
> two?

I did this same exact thing just a few months ago. The case is going to be
the hardest part. If you want small _and_ cheap, they all have fans. You
can find a fanless case, but they cost a bit more.

That said, I'd highly recommend anything with the Intel Nano 330 CPU. I
got one for my file server at home and for such a low-power, low-priced
thing it's pretty capable. Dual-core, 64-bit. Intel Motherboard+CPU combos
sell on newegg for about $80. Ubuntu server runs like a dream on mine.
There is a small fan on the motherboard chipset, but it's fairly quiet.

Charles
--
http://bityard.net