[GLLUG] [OT] Adding Cell Phone Minutes

Charles charles at bityard.net
Thu Feb 5 13:06:18 EST 2009

Chick Tower wrote:
> Someone on Craig's List advertised a cell phone for free.  It's one of
> those like you can buy at WalMart and buy additional minutes for.  Do
> any of you know if just anyone can take such a phone purchased by
> someone else, add minutes to it, and use it?

If it's a Tracfone:

Yes, you can technically just take the phone and add minutes to it. If
the activation period has expired, you'll have to re-activate it but
that's not a big deal. (Can be done online or over another phone.)

The biggest caveat is that the first person who activated the phone very
likely had to submit their name, address, etc to the carrier. (A
homeland security measure, probably.) That means their info is tied to
that phone until you can convince the carrier otherwise. You also get
their old phone number unless you call up their support center to change it.

If it's not a Tracfone:

I'm not familiar with any other prepaid phones. :(

(P.S. I'm not endorsing Tracfone in any way, it's just what I happen to
use. They're really just about as bad as any other cell carrier.)

Charles
--
http://bityard.net