[GLLUG] SD card error

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at analysts.com
Sun Feb 8 18:31:57 EST 2009

I have a software program - "DataLifter Digital Companion" that can
recover images from flash cards - even partial and deleted ones.  It's a
forensics tool.  However, it has to be able to read the card.  For free
you might be able to image it on a linux box using dd and then use
foremost to carve the images off.  Even if the FAT is messed up you
still might have some luck that way.

I'd be willing to try to help if its important, if you can get me an
image of the flash drive, for example doing something like:

Linux>  dd if=/dev/flash0 of=flashcard.img bs=512

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!  IF YOU REVERSE THIS YOU'LL
DELETE YOUR CARD BY COPYING THE WRONG WAY!

The if (infile) is made up for demonstrative purposes, you'll have to
see what your system recognizes.  Then use foremost
http://sourceforge.net/projects/foremost/ by fiddling with the config
file to enable JPG files and using the image as a source.

Mark Lachniet
Solutions Architect - Security
Analysts International
3101 Technology Blvd. Suite A