[GLLUG] Penguicon 7.0 Call for Lounge Volunteers

Charles charles at bityard.net
Thu Feb 19 14:43:32 EST 2009

Hey everyone,

This is the call for volunteers for the computer lounge at Penguicon,
taking place May 1-3 in Romulus.

I don't think we have too many people on the mailing list who haven't
heard of Penguicon yet so I'll skip the introduction. If you want more
information, please feel free to email me, post to the mailing list, or
check out http://penguicon.org/.

Probably the biggest area we could use help with is staffing the
computer lounge. We need people to be there mostly to keep an eye on
things and make sure that none of the equipment is
abused/vandalized/stolen. We have had zero problems with this in the
past thanks to our vigilant volunteers. It's a very simple job: you just
wear a badge and hang around for awhile. No computery-type knowledge is
required.

We also need individuals during the busy hours to interact with visitors
to the lounge, answering questions and providing help when needed.
Computery-type knowledge is a plus here.

So why volunteer your time in the lounge?

- We can't have a computer lounge in the first place without people
selflessly donating their time to it.

- It's fun and social.

- If you volunteer enough time, you get reward points and possibly a
reimbursement on your registration.

- The more people we have to staff the lounge, the less time each
individual has to put into it.

A rough draft of the schedule is up at:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pGBFPJKXgLCFPKEkZfmuAYg

You'll notice that it's mostly empty. Here's where you can help: If
you're interested in volunteering, send an email to me
charles at bityard.net. If you don't know what time you want, that's fine!
We can work out the details later. I just want to know that you're
interested. If you can convince friends and family to voluneer too, then
great. Just be prepared to vouch for them since these positions involve
a degree of trust.

So please, come to Penguicon, help out in the lounge, and have a great
time on the cheap. Nobody I know of has gone to Penguicon and said it
sucked. Even if sci-fi or computers isn't your thing, you're still going
to find something awesome.

Charles
--
http://bityard.net