[GLLUG] CF Card Conundrum

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 15:36:08 EST 2009

A friend gave me an old HP Photosmart 315 digital camera.  It has a
128MB Sandisk CF card (or is it called a disk?) in it.  I can connect it
to my PC and mount it the same way I would a flash drive, but I can't
see all the files that are stored on it.  The df command shows it's
capacity as three or four megabytes less than the 128 it is when I mount
it.  fdisk -l shows only one partition on it, formatted as FAT16.  I
know there are other photos on it because I can view a dozen of them
through the camera's menu system on its LCD screen.  I would like to
save a couple of them and then reformat the card, to see if I can
eliminate this problem, but I can't access the dozen files from my PC.
I did find a note on the web that the software that comes with Windows
XP and (Vista or 2000) cannot access any CF cards in this camera greater
than 32MB in capacity without using a CF card reader, but I don't have
one to try and I don't care to buy one if I can eliminate the problem.

1)  Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try to access and copy
these photos to my PC?

2)  Does anyone who is coming to next week's meeting have a CF card
reader they could bring that I could use to read the card?

Thank you for any help you folks can provide me.

                                Chick