[GLLUG] The Installfest That Wasn't

Barry Tigner tigner at msu.edu
Sun Jul 12 05:10:33 EDT 2009

Local radio stations offer free announcements for clubs and
organizations, but
usually require a 2 week lead time. Also, local cable channels used to
offer
public channels for announcmetns and/or on-air time to public clubs,
groups etc.

There is another alternative also. Why couldn't there be a web site, say
like the
GLLUG site, that has a section offering videos of people doing the
install and
setups ? All you need is a digital camera, a script , some practice and
voila !
This could expand into a general video help site, where people could
find how
to do the computer things that they never knew how to do when they
bought it.

I can picture a section on cooling fan replacement, hard drive low level
diagnostic
testing, data recovery, adding peripherals/hard drives/DVDRW/ etc.
Maybe there
could even be a section on how we did the videos, what equipment,
software etc.

People first get  interested in WHAT you are doing, then they get
interested in HOW
you did it, then they find out what BSD and Gnu-Linux can do for them
and the
wealth of software available and we wind up with new members who will
help spread
the word. And word of mouth from a trusted associate/friend/family
member is the
best way to spread the word.

Barry
tigner at msu.edu