[GLLUG] Server Seminar Series Recap

Lani Meredith lrmeredith at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 13:53:05 EDT 2009

On Sunday 26 July 2009 12:50:09 pm Clay Dowling wrote:
> Yesterday we had our final seminar in our Server Seminar Series.
It was
> a long day, but successful, and several of our members were able
to go
> out with working LAMP servers.
>
> There were also several other lessons learned:
>
> 1. Linux runs best in native mode, rather than emulation. Our
> experiences yesterday with Linux running under emulation were
not happy.
> They failed for different reasons, but they still failed. There are
> obviously people running Linux under emulation very successfully,
but it
> appears to take a fair amount of experience to do it well.
>
> 2. Run servers from a server distribution of Linux. I did my
> presentation with a desktop version, and it took a lot of twiddling.
> bunch of other people were also using desktop, and they had the
same
> twiddling issues.
>
> 3. Install Drupal from sources, not from a distribution system.
> Installation from source went well, but one participant who
installed
> from his package system had a lot of trouble.
>
> 4. Command line skills are essential. Some members who were
trying to do
> system administration with a graphic interface to the filesystem
had
> trouble.  That means we need to make more of an effort at
promoting the
> command line classes, since we've established that being
uncomfortable
> with the command line is a significant barrier to entry.
>
> 5. Installing LAMP software isn't trivial. If we run this seminar in the
> future, we need to establish a more straight-forward way to get a
LAMP
> server ready and install software.  A lot of this goes back to
lesson
> 1.  And honestly, there might be a case to be made from running
this on
> FreeBSD or OpenBSD, possibly by providing a machine or
machines to use
> in the class. BSD is definitely optimized to run as a server.
>
> Clay

The end of the class, where we actually used a LAMP server to do
something, seemed the most useful to me.  Making the
configuration tweaks to get Drupal to run is something I'd need an
instruction page to do (if you weren't available ;) ), but downloading
and installing modules, making them available, and generating and
publishing content is something that could be done without frequent
reference to notes.  But to learn this process, we needed a web
browser, which isn't included in server installs.  In that sense, it was
good that the participants mostly brought desktop machines.

If the participants hadn't been able to use their graphical tools at all,
we might not have gotten as good a turnout, and the presentation
wouldn't have had such a satisfying finish.

Lani