[GLLUG] Server ubuntu

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Mon Jun 8 14:03:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, user at qtm.net wrote:

> I tried kubuntu as a server using ssh and html. The server has 40gigs
> of other than my stuff. Next I tried the server ubuntu opening ssh. I
> would like to use html and a database program.

Phil, the questions you're asking and the way that you are asking them
just screams "Getting Hacked in 10 Easy Steps," the latest title from
APress.

What might be useful is to lay out a plan for what you want to accomplish
with your server.  Follow that up with a list of options for accomplishing
that.  Between your goals and your plan for accomplishing it there are
going to be some big gaps.  We can help you fill those gaps in.

On a related note, I wonder if there might be some community interest in
a workshop for people wanting to set up their own servers.  There's enough
knowledge in the group that we could handle half a dozen to a dozen
participants.  Find somebody who will let us have some classroom space for
a Saturday, do an hour or two of classroom, then break down into small
groups to work with individual goals.

We could probably even send folks home with a FreeBSD or Linux disc.

If there's interest in doing this, I can start looking for venues around
Lansing.