[GLLUG] Pastured chickens & Eggs

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Jun 12 11:03:14 EDT 2009

Last night we talked a bit about pastured chickens and eggs.  A
co-worker has a fair number of chickens he's raising for fall
slaughter, and if you want some you can put your order in now to
reserve your birds.  These birds arne't fed antibiotics or growth
hormones.  They scavenge a lot of bugs that most commercial chickens
don't get, and the extra protein in their diet makes for a very
different flavor.

He's selling them for $2/pound, with the average bird being 5 pounds.
I've eaten these birds before.  The pasturing makes for a leaner, more
flavorful meat.  If they're roasted with some moisture, such as the
beer-butt chicken cooking style, you get a very tender bird with a lot
of flavor.

I have four birds on order that should be showing up soon, so I figure
I'll grill a couple for GLLUG in July.  You can try the birds then and
see if it's something you want to buy.

Clay
--
Online RPG Campaign Planning