[GLLUG] Server Classes

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Jun 26 10:15:15 EDT 2009

We talked about our server classes last night at the GLLUG meeting,
and I wanted to pop something on the list today to get people around
the idea and start scheduling it.

The plan is for four classes, to take people from base installation to
actually running a server.

My proposed schedule:

Saturday, July 11th - 1pm: Installfest, concentrating on Ubuntu
Server.  Lani has agreed to lead this.  Additional hands to help
people with questions would be appreciated.

Thursday, July 16th - 6:30pm : Introduction to the command line.  Jeff
Lawton to lead this (Clay Dowling to act as his second).  We should
also be prepared for installfest follow ups here, so other people on
hand would be good, to take people aside and work with them one on one.

Saturday, July 18th - 1pm: Basic networking and system hardening, to
be lead by Charles Ulrich (Marshal Newrock to act as his second).

Saturday, July 25th - 1pm: LAMP Server workshop.  As many volunteers
as we can get.  Clay Dowling, Charles Ulrich at minimum have
volunteered to participate.  Must be comfortable working with and
gently leading people who may be weak on technical issues.

If I named you in the schedule, please let me know if it will work for
you, or what corrections are needed to make it work.  Anybody else
with suggestions please let me know ASAP.

I'm going to try to put together a press release and possibly audio or
video that we can submit to local media by the middle of next week.
Anybody with audio or video production skills I'd love it if you could
contact me.  Basically, everything we can do to make this story easier
for local media to cover improves our chances.  We'll need to keep
pushing material out to the press every week, so we don't need to have
all of this assembled at once.

Thoughts on the press packet:

1. Standard press release, 250-500 words (shorter being preferred).
Make it press ready.

2. Good high-res photos of a Linux install fest.  We'll simulate this
by getting a few people with laptops, and a few people helping them.
I figure three of each category.  The more women we can get in the
picture, the more it will help us by appearing more woman-friendly and
less like guys who live in their mom's basement.  Don't worry if
you're not photogenic - the more like the average woman you look, the
more comfortable that will make our potential audience.

3. Audio interviews or sound clips, for use on the radio.  If we could
get a clip on WKAR in their local coverage, that would reach a lot of
people.

4. Video of an installfest (ideally from the Jully 11th session).  If
we can get people to say on tape how helpful we were, it's a great
recruiting tool for later sessions.

Let me know if you can help out with any of this.

Clay

--
Online RPG Campaign Planning
http://www.rpg-campaign.com