[GLLUG] Career guidance request

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sun Mar 1 11:46:09 EST 2009

Stanley C. Mortel wrote:
> Hey group!  A friend of mine is coming to see me tomorrow thinking about
> a career change into the IT field somewhere.  His background is quite
> limited at the moment, but he is trying to find a direction.  He is
> coming from a financial background - financial planning side of things.
> Any thoughts on what's hot right now (i.e., needed, as in he might get
> hired once he develops the skills)?  My inclination is to talk to him
> about web design and database administration.  Any helpful insight would
> be vastly appreciated.

The cynical part of me suggests bankruptcy law.  That's only partially
cynical though, I've flirted with the idea of law school for years.  Not
because of the money, but because it takes a lot of the same skills used
in programming and applies them to human endeavors.  Also, it's a great
justification to wear expensive suits.

Clay