[GLLUG] Career guidance request

charles at bityard.net charles at bityard.net
Sun Mar 1 20:59:29 EST 2009

On Sun, March 1, 2009 11:46 am, Clay Dowling wrote:
> Stanley C. Mortel wrote:
>> Hey group!  A friend of mine is coming to see me tomorrow thinking about
>> a career change into the IT field somewhere.  His background is quite
>> limited at the moment, but he is trying to find a direction.  He is
>> coming from a financial background - financial planning side of things.
>> Any thoughts on what's hot right now (i.e., needed, as in he might get
>> hired once he develops the skills)?  My inclination is to talk to him
>> about web design and database administration.  Any helpful insight would
>> be vastly appreciated.
>>
> The cynical part of me suggests bankruptcy law.  That's only partially
> cynical though, I've flirted with the idea of law school for years.  Not
> because of the money, but because it takes a lot of the same skills used
> in programming and applies them to human endeavors.  Also, it's a great
> justification to wear expensive suits.

I think most of us on this list actively look for ways to stay out of
expensive suits if at all possible. :)

One thing I wanted to mention to Stan is that his friend should probably
try to consider something in I.T. that allows him to leverage what he
already knows of the financial sector. Maybe information security or
database administration. Programming is fine to look into, but the
learning curve is so steep that it's something that you have to have a
knack for or you'll get overwhelmed at the start. Web design isn't really
IT per se, although if the guy has an artistic bent, it could be a good
path.

Anyway, I maintain that a solid understanding of basic Unix and networking
principles will start any I.T. newbie off on the right foot. (Or at least,
they'll find out whether it's their cup of tea or not.)

Charles
--
http://bityard.net