[GLLUG] virtualization/netboot question

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Thu Mar 19 13:11:40 EDT 2009

Just a couple of notes probably to myself at this point.

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Sean O'Malley wrote:

> Device sharing is going to be tricky. The two keyboards, mice might
> actually get confused if you use usb, unless possibly you have two usb
> buses, etc. It gets weird fast. And it could end up being like it used to
> be with the two ethernet cards, and they alternated which one was detected
> first. :P

Actually it appears dual nic cards and keyboard/mouse and other hardware
can be assigned to a vm.

> The video is what I am looking at right now. And it would be -sweet- if
> you could just assign a VM to it's own native video card. Although that
> can get confusing on the guest also because of drivers issues.

Video looks like the biggest issue since because of the video card bios,
you can't directly assign it to a VM. Suck. At least that is one thing -i-
saw.

After that it gets pretty tricky, because you have to emulate a video
card, have a native OS driver, then convert that to something like OpenGL
in the VM and then assign that to a particular video card.

It is similar to what SGI does and actually if you could get a vm to
output completely in OpenGL, you could use SGI's system as it would be an
OpenGL application. The only real bitchy thing about this is the
"invention" of directX where M$ decided they didnt want to be a part of
the OpenGL consortium.