[GLLUG] Arch Linux - Request for Comment

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 17:52:44 EDT 2009

I'm a Slackware user, Peter, but I installed Arch on a laptop to play
with it.  Pacman, the package manager, is very fast, much faster than
I've ever experienced Synaptic to be under versions of Ubuntu, but
perhaps that's a difference between CLI and GUI apps.  I'm surprised at
how many packages have updates every week; I don't run
Slackware-current, so maybe that has a lot, too.  I know Arch is
supposed to be stable, but their version of Firefox, called Gran
Paradiso, sometimes crashes or closes inexplicably.  (No error messages;
it just disappears.)  There is a lot of help available in their forums
and wiki, and I like it's simplicity, similar to Slackware and (from
what I understand) the BSDs.  I haven't used it a lot, but it's fun
learning new distros, as long as they work.  I am not a fan of Ubuntu.
Those who want a Windows-type experience will not be happy with Arch.
Arch gives you a very stripped, non-X, basis to which you easily add
what you need to make what you want your OS to be, similar to FreeBSD.

There have been a lot of on-line reviews of Arch in the last few months
that have been featured on Linux Today, so I imagine Distrowatch will
have several to choose from.  All have been favorable.

                                Chick