[GLLUG] P'Con 2010 discussions before Handover Meeting?

Ron Blanchett muteid10t at gmail.com
Fri May 8 09:43:01 EDT 2009

Penguicon didn't have a problem serving hundreds of people beef @ P6 using
the time slot method.
What broke during the process this year that 1) removed the time slot method
from the equation, and 2) broke the entire system and kept beef from being
served fast like at 6.0.

note: I cooked 400+ pounds of beef with Edwardo at 6.0 so I know how fast we
where cooking and serving. The line was never more than 20 minutes long @
6.0.

On 5/8/09, Peter Smith <psmith.gllug at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Brent Barker <b.w.barker at smokejive.net>
> wrote:
> > The problem with that is when the 4:00-4:30 block is not finished by
> > the end of the time, so you have a big backlog.
> Right; you can be specific with time blocks IF you have a
> well-established system, and you don't have any problem taking care of
> the slowing X factor.
>
> With this one, if the block is going slowly,then you don't update the
> sign. If people are going to get in line at 2:00 for a 4pm start (like
> the dealers did last time), you limit that initial sign to (1-20) and
> you don't upgrade the high picket until you start serving; your line
> is no more than 20 people, or how ever many you feel comfortable
> making the range.
>
> We *do* assume con-goers are !stupid. That they can find someone to do
> simple math. That someone with ticket 400 won't get in line when it
> says 'now serving 1-20'. And that they can visit a couple of times and
> calculate the time they should come back to check. Or, if they can't
> do any of these, that they can ask someone for assistance.
>
> Gotta start somewhere. :)

-Ron