[GLLUG] Penguicon 8.0 in 2010

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:57:09 EDT 2009

We had the hand-off meeting today, at which this year's chairman (Matt
Arnold) of the convention committee (concom) hands over control to next
year's chairman (Randy Bradakis).  Some things were discussed about next
year's Penguicon that affect us.

There will be no Brazilian beef.  Randy and others just feel it is
"tired" and has run its course.  Last year it was also left out of the
early planning but popular demand brought it back.  However, I wouldn't
count on that happening twice.  Thank you all again for helping out with
it, this year and in years past.

Randy would like to make the computer lounge more a Penguicon offering
than a GLLUG offering.  What that means is unknown, except that they
want other LUGs to get involved, too.  Jer Lance also said we've been
ignoring users of other OSs, such as FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows, so
they want to serve them better.  Don't ask me what that means, as it
makes no sense to me; it's not as though we barred Windows laptops from
connecting to our wireless access point, so far as I know.  Later I
thought perhaps he meant we should have some Windows PCs in the lounge
with other proprietary software that someone has requested, such as
Adobe Photoshop or MS Office, but he also stressed that we want to
feature open-source software in the lounge.  I don't know what
open-source software is available on Windows but not on GNU/Linux, but
maybe he has something in mind.  If I got any of this wrong, someone
please correct me.

It looks like the convention will be in the Troy Marriott Hotel April
30th, May 1st, and May 2nd.  Jer Lance is trying to get fast wireless
internet access that avoids the hotel's network.  I don't know if that
would include the computer lounge, but, as Marshal pointed out to me, if
everyone is using another network, perhaps the hotel's network will be
half-way decent.
--

                                Chick