[GLLUG] Penguicon 8.0 in 2010

Charles charles at bityard.net
Tue May 19 00:50:54 EDT 2009

Richard Houser wrote:
> I guess we'll need to wait to find out what Jer means by the whole
> alternative OS thing.  My keysigning sessions were platform nuetral
> for example, and I think there were a total of two Windows and
> possibly one OS X user among those participating.
>
> There's definitely some minor logistics problems with running multiple
> OSes in the lounge (if that means BSD/OpenSolaris), and some major
> (and pricy!) ones if that was to include MacOS (Apple Hardware) or
> Windows (higher end machines, OS License, AV license, firewall
> license, finding a Windows Admin for a Linux convention....., Ghost
> license, application software licenses unless the whole point is to
> spend more money to run the same apps under Windows, etc.).

'Zactly. The whole point of the computer lounge from the start was to
show off some of the cool things you can do with free software and
common (often "obsolete") hardware.

Also, this con has a giant Tux for a mascot and a "Pengui" in the name,
so I would have a hard time believing anyone seriously meant that the
lounge is supposed to give equal time to non-free, proprietary software.

Charles
--
http://bityard.net